Scenario: e.g. you have an office with a laptop / computer in a building far from home. During the night you want to complete some administration stuff from your home without leaving the house.
So we have a:
- a ‘TARGET’ device that you want to get access to remotely (e.g. your laptop at your office).
- a ‘CLIENT’ device you will use as ‘remote’ control (your laptop at your home)
Furthermore you need a google account (a gmail account is just fine).
STEP 1: On the ‘TARGET’ device you will need to install a Google software: Chrome Remote Desktop:
- Open Chrome and go to https://remotedesktop.google.com/
- Click on “Access my Computer”
- Next click on the Download icon to start an installation. Make sure you complete the installation of the software
- Next, you can give this device (target) a logical name
- Next fill in a pin code / number you will need only the first time you login from you CLIENT device
- After a couple seconds you’ll see the target device is online (you’ll get a popup you must grant access)
STEP 2: Now we are ready to go to the CLIENT device and connect to the TARGET device.
In fact it’s very simple:
- Open Chrome and Go to https://remotedesktop.google.com/access ! make sure you are logged in into your Google Account
- Enter the PIN (this needs to be done only the first time if you check the checkbox)
- Voila, now you have access to your target device
So from now on, you only need to go to https://remotedesktop.google.com/access (TIP: make it a bookmark) and you are ready to go. Of course the target device should be on 😉